[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq_web_stomp plugin

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri May 16 11:10:16 BST 2014

On 15/05/14 15:44, Ben Watson wrote:
> "New" system config:
>
>   * Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
>   * Erlang 16B03
>   * RabbitMQ 3.3.1
>
> Overall installation is a breeze.  The rabbitmq-server comes up fine and
> I can "use" it with familiar tools (e.g. the Python pika module).
>   However, when I use rabbitmq-plugins to enable rabbitmq_web_stomp, the
> rabbitmq-server fails to come back from a required restart.  That is, I
> see a message saying "starting server..." with a status of "FAIL".  The
> server logs have very little information, stating that there may be more
> information within the logs ("duh"), and that an erl crash dump was
> created (I've never been able to find this dump).  The only nugget of
> information I've gleaned from the logs is something cryptic:
>
>   * "no such file or directory ranch.app"

That's... interesting. rabbitmq_web_stomp depends on a web server called
cowboy. Cowboy in turn depends on a library called ranch - but only in
more recent versions of cowboy than the version we ship.

So somehow you are picking up the wrong version of Cowboy.

Assuming you have not patched and built RabbitMQ yourself (which I hope
you would have mentioned) then the most likely reason is that something
else has installed a different version of cowboy in a system-wide
location (probably /usr/lib/erlang/lib on Ubuntu). Is that what's happened?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal