[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq_web_stomp plugin

Ben Watson bwatson1979 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 15:44:29 BST 2014

Greetings,

I've been running RabbitMQ with the rabbitmq_web_stomp plugin for quite
some time to deliver "near real time" data to browsers.

Some more pertinent information:

"Old" system config:

   - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS
      - specifically 12.04.3
   - Erlang 14B04
      - this is the version Ubuntu repos install by default
   - RabbitMQ 2.8.2-1
      - this was the first version where the rabbitmq_web_stomp plugin was
      available experimentally

This setup has been rock solid for quite some time and has fulfilled all of
my needs.

However, I'm building a "new" system to keep up-to-date on software.  I
noticed that after RabbitMQ 3.x (and the specific "x" value escapes me at
the moment), the rabbitmq_web_stomp plugin was bundled with the server
software by default.  So my "new" system would look like this:

"New" system config:

   - Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
   - Erlang 16B03
   - RabbitMQ 3.3.1

Overall installation is a breeze.  The rabbitmq-server comes up fine and I
can "use" it with familiar tools (e.g. the Python pika module).  However,
when I use rabbitmq-plugins to enable rabbitmq_web_stomp, the
rabbitmq-server fails to come back from a required restart.  That is, I see
a message saying "starting server..." with a status of "FAIL".  The server
logs have very little information, stating that there may be more
information within the logs ("duh"), and that an erl crash dump was created
(I've never been able to find this dump).  The only nugget of information
I've gleaned from the logs is something cryptic:

   - "no such file or directory ranch.app"

My Google-fu hasn't turned up anything on this particular piece.  I'm not
sure if this is an Erlang problem or a RabbitMQ plugin problem.

Any ideas?

v/r

Ben