[rabbitmq-discuss] Multiple local-usernames for federation

Roman Gaufman hackeron at gmail.com
Tue May 14 12:37:26 BST 2013

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how this is meant to work - I have 3 RabbitMQs:

Cloud (10.9.0.1)
London (10.9.0.2)
Moscow (10.9.0.3)

I want to federate messages from London and Moscow to Cloud. I create 2
username/passwords on the "Cloud" rabbitmq (with appropriate permissions):

london:password1
moscow:password2

I then add 1 upstream for the London and 1 upstream for the Moscow RabbitMQ:

London: amqp://london:password1@10.9.0.1/oracle
Moscow: amqp://moscow:password1@10.9.0.1/oracle

The upstreams point to the Cloud RabbitMQ IP which has the appropriate
usernames/passwords and permissions.

Now when I crate a federate-me policy, I get an error
"{error,user_does_not_exist}" unless I set a local-username on the Cloud
RabbitMQ with:

rabbitmqctl -p oracle set_parameter federation local-username '"London"'

Then the London RabbitMQ is able to connect, but Moscow still says
user_does_not_exist. My question is why is this and how do I accept both
usernames?

Roman