[rabbitmq-discuss] Option/Extension to insert a message into a queue at certain intervals.

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Thu Dec 5 22:19:54 GMT 2013

On 5 Dec 2013, at 22:30, Wayne Brantley <wayne.brantley at gmail.com> wrote:

> Without the above feature, you basically need another application whose job it is to create messages at certain intervals and put them into queues.
> I just think this would be a great 'service' that could be provided, and people are always looking for a way to use RabbitMQ to do scheduled events (and have created systems of multiple queues and used the deadletter feature to do this kind of thing).
>
> Thoughts?

If I understand you correctly, you are proposing two features and not one:

1. Scheduled publishing
2. Consumer coordination

I can see how #1 can be quite useful. I believe it can be accomplished using a plugin (and I’ve had some interest
in writing one for a while).

#2 can be very application-specific. Please just use Redis, etcd, ZooKeeper or similar to cover
that part.

MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ