[rabbitmq-discuss] Supported RabbitMQ versions

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Dec 4 16:52:52 GMT 2013

On 04/12/2013 14:23, Andy G. wrote:
> Hey everybody,
>
> i`d like to ask if there are some official statements regarding
> supported RabbitMQ versions?
> Which versions are supported by the team?

Depends on whether you mean commercial support or support via this
mailing list. For commercial support there is some complicated formula I
can never remember. For this list, we'll tell you if we think you're
running too old a version (which will largely depend on what sort of
problems you're having). If you have a basic question about how routing
works I don't care what version you're running, but if you run into a
known fixed bug we'll probably just tell you to upgrade. And if you run
into a bug we think we might have fixed, we'll probably tell you to
upgrade too.

> Is there a defined Release / Support cycle?

We aim to make approximately two feature releases (i.e. 3.x.0) per year.

We aim to make a bugfix release (i.e. 3.2.x) approximately once per month.

No guarantees though, but that's the pattern we've roughly hit for the
last couple of years.

> e.g. How long is the RabbitMQ 3.0.* branch supported?
> Which kind of fixes (security, bugs) will be introduced into 3.1.* and
> for how long?

The idea is that the stable branch just includes bug fixes (which
includes security fixes obviously). However, some bug fixes won't go on
the stable branch - anything which looks big and complex enough that it
could be as destabilising as a new feature.

So far we have only introduced bug fixes for the "current" feature
release - i.e. currently we are planning a 3.2.2 and 3.2.3 and so on,
but I doubt there will ever be a 3.1.6 or 3.0.5 or 2.8.8.

That might change if there is a *lot* of demand. But we are a small
team, so the demand would have to be substantial.

Cheers, Simon