[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Roadmap

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu May 24 11:02:52 BST 2012

On 24/05/12 09:47, Brendan Hay wrote:
> Yo!
>
> There's been a few hints dropped here towards future changes in
> Federation, Mirrored Queues, and making things a bit more transparent to
> clients regarding physical topology layout.
>
> Do you dudes have some sort of non-committal timeline/roadmap to share?
> (Off the record is fine, we won't hold you to anything.)

Matthias always hates it when I make any sort of forward looking
prediction. But I'm in an uncooperative mood today, so here we go. All
remarks here are extremely tentative and should not be taken as any sort
of guarantee of anything happening.

There will probably be a 2.8.3 release soon, with bug fixes only.

2.9.0 should happen at some point in the summer (for a broad definition
of summer). Some of the more major new things we're hoping to do include:

* Take federation configuration out of the config file and make it
dynamically changeable with rabbitmqctl / mgmt

* Stop federation from being an exchange type, make regular exchanges
federated through dynamically changeable policy managed by the sysadmin

* Similarly, make HA status of queues manageable dynamically by the
sysadmin, not statically by the application programmer

* Rework clustering commands to make clustering clearer and less error prone

Although obviously I can't guarantee that all of these will be in 2.9.0
(or will ever happen; plans are constantly shifting). But those are the
big things I want to see (along with lots of smaller features and bug
fixes I'm sure).

By the way, what do you mean by "making things a bit more transparent to
clients regarding physical topology layout"?

> I'm personally interested in things such as dynamic upstream_sets, a
> better mechanism for specifying x-ha-policy to a subset, moving
> master/declared queues around inside a cluster and things related to
> making RabbitMQ more manageable in higher throughput scenarios.

Hopefully you should get many of these.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen