[rabbitmq-discuss] Active/Active: shutdown of one service brings down the cluster

Jerry Kuch jerryk at vmware.com
Tue Feb 14 20:45:17 GMT 2012

Hi, Vadim:

A client doesn't need to be connected directly to the node on which
a queue and its attendant Erlang process reside.  If your load balancer
sends you to any live node in the cluster you can consume from the queue
of your choice, as long as it's still alive.

Note that you can't straightforwardly redeclare a queue that had been on
a node that's gone down.  The cluster's metadata will still know about it
and prevent you from redeclaring it.  This is intentional, to avoid the
confusion that would result if you succeeded at the redeclare, a new
queue of the same name and properties came into existence on another node,
and then the original, downed node came back up in the cluster...

Best regards,
Jerry