[rabbitmq-discuss] Presence Exchange Related Question

Tony Garnock-Jones tonygarnockjones+rabbitmq at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 21:28:02 GMT 2012

On 3 February 2012 14:42, Randall Richard <randall at trellisapp.com> wrote:

> More specifically, for an application that provides a "presence" status, a
> disconnect is something you want to capture and propagate accordingly.  Is
> one approach to do what you describe below (e.g. I could create a
> consumer/service that keeps track of connects and disconnects and associate
> that with a corresponding application context)?  Is there something more
> obvious on how this might be done with RabbitMQ?

Yes, you could do that (though you might have trouble correlating the log
messages with application-level entities). I don't think there's anything
much cleaner you could do using the built-in features, though. Stepping
away from built-ins, the presence exchange would probably simplify things
in terms of the code you'd need to write, but at the cost of running a
third-party plugin.

Regards,
  Tony
--