[rabbitmq-discuss] Install RabbitMQ 2.6.1 with management plugin on Amazon Linux 32-bit?

Nick Martin nick at faceture.com
Fri Sep 30 00:29:29 BST 2011

I am trying to get the latest version of RabbitMQ (v 2.6.1) to install
and run on Amazon Linux 32-bit (which is based on CentOS, see
http://ec2-downloads.s3.amazonaws.com/AmazonLinuxAMIUserGuide.pdf). So
far I have been unsuccessful and would like some help figuring it out.

RabbitMQ 2.6.1 requires Erlang version of at least R12B-3.
The management plugin requires a newer version of Erlang, R13B01 (see
http://www.rabbitmq.com/management.html#erlang).

Amazon Linux is not properly configured to install Erlang using the
yum package manager. When I run "yum install erlang" it resulted in
this output:

Loaded plugins: fastestmirror, priorities, security
amzn-main | 2.1 kB 00:00
amzn-updates | 2.1 kB 00:00
Setting up Install Process
No package erlang available.
Error: Nothing to do

Since the package manager route didn't work, I tried downloading the
source for Erlang and build and install it myself. I followed the
instructions from this web page http://erlangexamples.com/2010/04/30/building-erlang-b13r04-in-centos-5-4/.
The instructions:
sudo yum -y install make gcc gcc-c++ kernel-devel m4 ncurses-devel
openssl-devel
wget http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R13B04.tar.gz
tar xfvz otp_src_R13B04.tar.gz
cd otp_src_R13B04/
./configure --with-ssl
sudo make install

Following those instructions, I built and installed Erlang
successfully.

I tried to "yum install rabbitmq" as well, but that too was not found.
Instead I downloaded the RabbitMQ RPM and attempted to install it like
so:
wget http://www.rabbitmq.com/releases/rabbitmq-server/v2.6.1/rabbitmq-server-2.6.1-1.noarch.rpm
rpm -Uvh rabbitmq-server-2.6.1-1.noarch.rpm

the rpm command results in this output:
error: Failed dependencies:
erlang >= R12B-3 is needed by rabbitmq-server-2.6.1-1.noarch

For some reason, even though I built and installed Erlang R13B04, the
RabbitMQ package can't see it. Any suggestions on why it doesn't know
Erlang is installed?

Is this even the best way to go about getting RabbitMQ 2.6.1 plus the
management plugin installed? Is there another approach I should
consider?

Thanks,
Nick