[rabbitmq-discuss] Install RabbitMQ 2.6.1 with management plugin on Amazon Linux 32-bit?

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Sep 30 11:23:11 BST 2011

On 30/09/11 00:29, Nick Martin wrote:
> For some reason, even though I built and installed Erlang R13B04, the
> RabbitMQ package can't see it. Any suggestions on why it doesn't know
> Erlang is installed?

rpm only recognises things being installed if they were installed via
rpm - otherwise they're just a bunch of files on the disk as far as it's
concerned.

Ideally you would install Erlang from rpms too; see the instructions
under "RPM-based Linux" at http://www.rabbitmq.com/server.html. But
having seen your post on the AWS forums I don't think that works due to
the standard Amazon Linux not having various UI libraries and the Erlang
package being compiled to depend on them.

So I think you have a few options:

* Install RabbitMQ from the generic Unix tarball rather than RPM.

Downsides: you'll need to fiddle around to get it running as a service;
nothing will be done for you.

* Keep tracking down rpms until all dependencies are satisfied.

Downsides: sounds like a pain.

* Tell rpm to install RabbitMQ anyway (with I think --nodeps or similar)

Downsides: you're telling rpm to ignore the dependency information it
has. Inelegant, to say the least.

* Start again with an AMI of CentOS or (better still IMNSHO) Debian /
Ubuntu.

Downsides: you have to start again.

If it were me I'd do the last one.

Cheers, Simon