[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Configuration Files

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Wed Feb 2 18:01:03 GMT 2011

On 02/02/11 17:08, Lionel Cons wrote:
> According to the doc, there are two main files: rabbitmq.conf (to set
> some environment variables) and rabbitmq.config (with Erlang syntax).
>
> Out of all the things that can be configured, are there some that
> cannot be defined in one of these two files? rabbitmq.config seems to
> be all-mighty

Yes, there are. Those files (hopefully at some point rabbitmq.conf will
go away) are for server-wide configuration, e.g.:

* Which ports should be opened?
* Where are SSL certs?
* Where should the LDAP plugin find an LDAP server?

> but a previous answer
> (http://old.nabble.com/rabbitmq-configuration-file-and-access-control-td30018285.html)
> seems to indicate that scripting is needed for ACLs, at least.

...but they don't contain anything about exchanges, bindings, queues,
users, vhosts or permissions. For that you can use rabbitmqctl or the
management plugin.

> The doc for rabbitmq.config
> (http://www.rabbitmq.com/install.html#configfile) is rather short. Not
> knowing the internals, it is quite difficult to find out what can be
> configured. Is there a documented list of all the things that can be
> set in this file?

Sadly no. We need to improve documentation in this area.

> Is there a way to tell a configured broker to dump its configuration
> in the same syntax as the rabbitmq.config file? (like iptables-save
> and iptables-restore do for firewall configuration)

Not in that format. The closest we can get is the management plugin,
which can dump / restore the exchanges, queues, users etc into a JSON
file. There's a command line tool which can do this so you don't have to
use the GUI.

Cheers, Simon
--
Simon MacMullen