[rabbitmq-discuss] Zombie direct exchanges

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Dec 5 11:26:48 GMT 2011

On 05/12/11 09:57, Rosa, Andrea wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> -Can you confirm that the publisher after publishing the message close
> the connection with Rabbitmq?

Well, that's up to the publisher. I would assume you would close the
connection.

> -What are risks to have a lot of those zombie exchanges ?

Well, they make your Mnesia database larger than it needs to be, and
make the output of rabbitmqctl and mgmt unwieldy.

> -There is a way to close zombie exchanges?

You could iterate through them in mgmt.

> To solve the problem I am thinking to publish messages with mandatory
> flag set and to manage the Basic.return to close the exchange, is it a
> correct design?

Umm, you could I suppose. I would take a step back though - why are you
creating short-lived direct exchanges all the time? What are you trying
to do that you couldn't do with a single exchange, or with the default
exchange?

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen