[rabbitmq-discuss] Thoughts from a new user

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Fri Sep 24 21:06:05 BST 2010

Matthias,

On Fri, Sep 24, 2010 at 3:41 PM, Matthias Radestock
<matthias at rabbitmq.com>wrote:

> Adam,
>

> Adam Nelson wrote:
>
>> 1. Everybody who is on a Mac likes Homebrew.  It should at least be
>> referred to on the downloads page, and most likely, it should be the default
>> installation recommendation for Mac users.  2. David should make appropriate
>> tickets on the Homebrew site (individual ones, not one big one) for the
>> naming conventions, etc... that you would like homebrew to use.  I'm sure
>> they'll be evenhanded.
>>

> David's list contained a number of suggestions based on our experience with
> packaging rabbit for other platforms and the desire to keep the setup
> similar across platforms. If none of the homebrew users of rabbit think they
> need any of that stuff then nothing needs to be done.
>
> We do not have the bandwidth to maintain the homebrew formula ourselves,
> and we do not want to recommend a preferred installation option for a
> platform unless we can be confident that said option is going to be actively
> maintained.
>
> With that in mind, would you, perhaps together with some of the other
> homebrew users who have posted on this thread, be willing to become the
> maintainer of the rabbitmq-server homebrew formula?
>
> We would certainly support you in that effort.
>
> The homebrew rabbitmq installation already exists and is maintained.  It's
just a matter of updating your documentation so new rabbitmq users on Mac
know what the easiest installation solution is.  I'm not advocating getting
rid of the MacPorts implementation, just that your documentation lets new
users know that most users of rabbitmq, who are developing on Mac, are using
the homebrew installation.

>  4. The documentation needs a major overhaul - soon.
>>

> We try to improve the docs incrementally. If say, you had one day to
> improve some aspect of the docs, what would be top of your list?
>

> Don't change any of the text or worry about versions (like I brought up
earlier).  Just focus on organizing the existing documentation, deleting any
low quality documents, and putting high quality documents onto the 'Getting
Started' page.

> 5. The codebase should be hosted on Github.com for easier interaction with
>> the wider community.
>>

> All our public hg repos are now mirrored onto github.
>
> Awesome.

>  6. "it's unlikely we are going to repeat that effort for homebrew (unless
>> macports dies or something)." - Macports is dying - I hate to break it to
>> people.  Agreed, it is way ahead of Homebrew in maturity, but MacPorts is
>> too flawed to continue on.
>>

> And eventually homebrew will morph into or be replaced by something that
> more resembles the current package managers of mature Linux distributions ;)
>
> :-)

But doubtful as homebrew satisfies the 'Mac is for developers' situation -
which is all that's needed.

--
Adam