[rabbitmq-discuss] Thoughts from a new user

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Fri Sep 24 20:01:02 BST 2010

Alexis/David,

I think the response from the group has been awesome.  Takeaways:

1. Everybody who is on a Mac likes Homebrew.  It should at least be referred
to on the downloads page, and most likely, it should be the default
installation recommendation for Mac users.
2. David should make appropriate tickets on the Homebrew site (individual
ones, not one big one) for the naming conventions, etc... that you would
like homebrew to use.  I'm sure they'll be evenhanded.  Note item #3 though
when making the tickets.
3. Virtually all Mac users of rabbitmq are using it for development.
 Production installations for the Mac users are running Linux (frequently
Ubuntu).
4. The documentation needs a major overhaul - soon.
5. The codebase should be hosted on Github.com for easier interaction with
the wider community.
6. "it's unlikely we are going to repeat that effort for homebrew (unless
macports dies or something)." - Macports is dying - I hate to break it to
people.  Agreed, it is way ahead of Homebrew in maturity, but MacPorts is
too flawed to continue on.  The fundamental issue is that Mac is not a
server OS, so the pace of iteration on the platform is much faster than on
something like Debian/Ubuntu where it's been using the same package manager
for years and will continue to be.  All the mature features of MacPorts are
useless because nobody uses Mac as a server for anything but internal office
functions and specialized rendering stuff.  The vanguard of Mac users has
already moved to Homebrew even though it's only a few months old - that
battle is over.

Thanks so much for all the support from everybody on these issues.  I'd love
to continue using RabbitMQ and it's these types of rough edges that matter
to alot of us.

Thanks,
Adam

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 5:50 PM, Alexis Richardson <alexis at rabbitmq.com>wrote:

> Adam, everyone,
>
> What are your thoughts on this thread?  Is this helping?
>
> alexis
>

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 1:22 PM, David Wragg <david at rabbitmq.com> wrote:
> > Adam Nelson <adam at varud.com> writes:
> >>  * Please don't tell Mac users to use MacPorts:
> >> http://www.rabbitmq.com/macports.html It's time to move them to
> HomeBrew at
> >> http://github.com/mxcl/homebrew
> >
> > I'm not a frequent OS X user.  I do have some experience with macports,
> > but it's been mixed.  So I like to think I have a fairly objective view
> > on the macports vs. homebrew thing (that being, they are both vastly
> > inferior to current Linux package systems :-)
> >
> > So with that said:
> >
> > I think we'd be happy to endorse homebrew alongside or instead of
> > macports, *if* it achieves parity with the rabbitmq-server port, and the
> > rabbitmq-server packages on Linuxes.  That means:
> >
> > - The formula should be called rabbitmq-server
> >
> > - It should create and use a rabbitmq user/group, and include the
> >  wrapper scripts to support this.
> >
> > - It should have some way to run as an automatically started daemon.
> >
> > - It should include the man pages (on-line documentation is great, man
> >  pages are too, we have both, and we want the man pages to be provided
> >  with the packages).
> >
> > - We need to have a way to distribute an update package when we make a
> >  new release, for users that are willing to bypass the central
> >  repository.
> >
> > We've made all this work for macports; it's unlikely we are going to
> > repeat that effort for homebrew (unless macports dies or something).
> >
> > But if someone in the community wants to work on getting the homebrew
> > formula into the same shape, that would be great.  We could work with
> > them to integrate it into our build/release process.
> >
> > David
> >
> > --
> > David Wragg
> > Staff Engineer, RabbitMQ