[rabbitmq-discuss] Management plugin changelog 2.1.0 -> 2.1.1

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 09:42:33 BST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Simon MacMullen <simon at rabbitmq.com> wrote:
> I think this is a broker issue rather than one specifically for the
> management plugin.
>
> Are you talking about some scenario where the broker could reinsert the
> purged messages if necessary? That might be... involved. Of course, it could
> move them to another queue (we've been idly thinking about that) but I don't
> know if that solves your problem. If all you want is a log, scripting
> something with basic.get is probably simple enough.

I think the scenario is that you're pretty sure you do actually want
to nuke data message and hence in all likelihood a queue purge would
be sufficient.

The logging bit was just a get out of jail card should you find out
after having done the purge that you did actually need those messages
after all (hence the drain via basic.get/disk log option).

Of course, having some way to DLQ all messages from a particular queue
on demand would solve the use case as well, because this would have
the same effect as purging the queue but still keeping the data around
lest you find out you were wrong in the first place.

Cheers,

Ben