[rabbitmq-discuss] running rabbitmq-server as a subprocess

Russell Borogove russell at borogove.org
Thu Jun 17 20:36:44 BST 2010

On Jun 17, 2010, at 4:51 AM, Matthew Sackman wrote:

> Hi Russell,
>
> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 05:16:59PM -0700, Russell Borogove wrote:
>> Is rabbitmq-server in fact suspending its parent process? Is there a way to stop it from doing so? Is there a better way to launch rabbitmq from a script?
>
> Hmm, that's interesting. The shell scripts that you call to start Rabbit
> will create new processes as necessary, and there will be a few. We're
> doing nothing fancy to the parent process at all - the shell scripts
> will exit and there should be a beam process running. This isn't
> something we've come across so I'm afraid I've nothing concrete to
> suggest.

Paring down our script, it appears that the root of the problem may be
that we're doing some funky termios stuff in the script after launching
rabbit, to let us do character-by-character input polling on that script
(in the service of "press Q to quit"). If I launch rmq in such a way that
it doesn't share stdout with the script, there's no problem.