[rabbitmq-discuss] running rabbitmq-server as a subprocess

Matthew Sackman matthew at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jun 17 12:51:40 BST 2010

Hi Russell,

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 05:16:59PM -0700, Russell Borogove wrote:
> Is rabbitmq-server in fact suspending its parent process? Is there a way to stop it from doing so? Is there a better way to launch rabbitmq from a script?

Hmm, that's interesting. The shell scripts that you call to start Rabbit
will create new processes as necessary, and there will be a few. We're
doing nothing fancy to the parent process at all - the shell scripts
will exit and there should be a beam process running. This isn't
something we've come across so I'm afraid I've nothing concrete to
suggest. You could try starting rabbit directly with the rabbitmq-multi
script (which is really all the init.d script calls), but I'm not sure
whether that'll behave any differently - I certainly see no reason why
it should.

Matthew