[rabbitmq-discuss] Measuring Broker Behavior

Matthias Radestock matthias at lshift.net
Mon Jun 8 19:56:34 BST 2009

Kyle,

Kyle R. Burton wrote:
> I'm evaluating AMQP at work and wrote a post about the initial testing
> approach.  Monadic (via twitter) asked me to share on the list, the
> post I wrote up is here:
>
>   http://asymmetrical-view.com/2009/06/02/incanter-amqp-benchmark.html
> [...]
> At this point I don't know much about tuning Erlang or Rabbit, if
> anyone has any advice about where to look for information on tuning,
> about our methodology, or questions please let me know.

I have two recommendations on the methodology:

- Use basic.consume, ideally with noAck=true, instead of basic.get. The
former is much more efficient.

- Throttle the producer. Measuring receiving rates and latencies when
you are bombarding the broker with messages as fast as the client can
send them is not going to give very good or reproducible results since
the broker will try to keep up with the producers and queue messages.

Matthias.