[rabbitmq-discuss] Hostname Issues with EC2 Cluster

Kevin Kuhl kkuhl05 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 04:00:25 GMT 2013

Hi all,

I want to set up a 3 node cluster on EC2. We plan to set up a recovery
configuration in amazon so that if we lose a server, we pull up a new one
to replace it and cluster it. We;ve been able to set up a cluster manually
by using the default hostname that resolves over DNS (ip-xx-xx-xx-xx); each
of the machines can see eachother. This name however, will not work in
production because it's the INTERNAL DNS reference which changes over time.
If a failure occurs this will be different on launch and break the cluster
(right?).

The ideal situation would be to cluster these with static references to
each machine. like rabbit at server1, 2, 3 where at any point a new one would
come up and could join the cluster.

I read this
article: http://karlgrz.com/rabbitmq-highly-available-queues-and-clustering-using-amazon-ec2/

Which works most of the way, but the part that's not explained is, once you
set your own hostname and try to cluster them, how can they see eachother
if the hostnames are not available over the EC2 network.

Hope this makes sense, any ideas or best practices are greatly appreciated!!