[rabbitmq-discuss] AMQP library APIs

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.com.au
Wed Aug 7 22:58:20 BST 2013

On 07/08/13 21:16, Alan Antonuk wrote:
> I've been doing a bit of thinking about building a more fully-featured
> native AMQP client library in C/C++, and have been pondering where to go
> with designing the public API for the library.
>
> A question for the authors of AMQP client libraries: if you could change
> the the public API to your library, what would you change? (and why?).

Here is some feedback from the non-AMQP world

As mentioned in the other thread, I'm working with things like SIP and
boost::asio (sometimes together)

asio and boost::asio are very compelling for asynchronous programming
and distributed systems.

Not so long ago I was looking for a WebSocket client library and I came
across websocketpp: it basically builds on asio to provide an async
WebSockets API.  It was really trivial for me to take that and then add
in SIP over WebSocket, you can see how it works in this example:

https://github.com/zaphoyd/websocketpp/tree/master/examples/sip_client

It would be really nice to have a similar paradigm for AMQP programming,
e.g. receiving callbacks for different types of events (message
receiving, failures, etc)