[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq cluster with all but one node shutdown

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Nov 19 16:52:36 GMT 2012

No, that's not expected. The single node should perform better.

However: how are you measuring performance? Are you looking at the msg/s
value in mgmt, or timing how long it takes to send n messages, or what?

If the latter, it occurs to me you could be being mislead by the pause
while Erlang waits for a response from the downed node(s) - this can be
quite a while (~1min by default) but should only occur once.

Cheers, Simon

On 15/11/12 16:01, Mark Ward wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With RabbitMQ version 2.8.7 on erlang R15B02 setup as a cluster of 3
> machines.  Each queue is setup to mirror and durable.  Each node is a disc
> node.  Server 1 is the master and stats during the tests.
>
> I am wondering if the following is expected.
> I have a single client communicating to another client both connecting
> through Server 1.   If I shut down servers 2  and 3 in my cluster and run my
> application again the performance is 47 times slower than when I have all 3
> servers running.  Is this expected?  I do not have load balance between my
> clients and the rabbit cluster.
>
> I honestly was expecting the single node to actually perform a little better
> as it would not have to replicate data to the other two nodes.
>
> -Mark
>

> --

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, VMware