[rabbitmq-discuss] Distributed RabbitMQ Nodes don't recognize each other

ittai zeidman ittaiz at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 20:38:29 BST 2012

I'm working on a RabbitMQ distributed POC and I'm stuck at the basics of
clustering the nodes.
I'm trying to follow the rabbit's tutorial<http://www.rabbitmq.com/clustering.html> on
clustering so this is my reference.
After installing erlang (R14B04) and rabbit (2.8.2-1) I've copied the
.erlang.cookie file contents from one node to the other two.
I wasn't sure about how to get erlang to notice this change to I had to
restart the machines themselves (pretty brute force but I don't know erlang
at all).
In addtion I opened in iptables 4369 and 5 additional ports for
communications and placed under/usr/lib64/erlang/bin/sys.config the
following config:

{kernel,[{inet_dist_listen_min, XX00},{inet_dist_listen_max,XX05}]}]

Then another restart (dumb I know) to verify erlang takes these into
consideration but still when I run:

rabbitmqctl cluster rabbit at HostName1

I get:

Clustering node rabbit at HostName2 with [rabbit at HostName1] ...
Error: {no_running_cluster_nodes,[rabbit at HostName1],
                                 [rabbit at HostName1]}

There is a chance my fiddling with the erlang.cookie or with the ports did
not succeed but I don't know how to check them. I tried typing erl in the
cmd and then erl_epmd:names() or other commands to get more information but
I'm probably way off in erlang land.

Would truly appreciate any help