[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ Dead Letter Routing

Paul pselibas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:17:17 BST 2012

Hello,

I am hoping someone can help me out on this issue.

I have got a typical setup of a async consumer, consuming from a Queue, and
a async producer (with a reply_to queue set) producing to an exchange.

I am facing the challenge of working with Dead Letter Queues and TTL.

In a nutshell the producer needs a ways to determine if his/her message
ended up dead (in the event the consumer is too slow or not "alive"). So
this is what I have come up with but am struggling to implement it (it
might be impossible).

Producer produces the message (with a reply_to property) -> Rabbit Expires
the message based on the TTL -> sends the message to a dead letter exchange
-> the exchange routes the message to the reply_to queue property on that
message -> the producer now consumers from that queue (the reply_to queue).

Question... "the exchange routes the message to the reply_to queue property
on that message"... is this possible and how?

Any other suggestions on implementation or design which would meet my
criteria would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!