[rabbitmq-discuss] Replacing Shovel with Federation, some configuration help required.

Jelle Smet smetj.net at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:35:33 GMT 2011

Hi all,

I have been experimenting with Shovel to transport messages between brokers
over WAN links.
I would like to give the "federation" plugin a shot.

I was wondering where do I have to install and configure the federation
plugin?  Does the federation exchange "pull" as a matter of speaking
messages from a remote queue and publishes these into its own "federation
exchange" in order to route them to the right queue(s)?

If I have a Shovel config like this, ... how would that translate in a
"federation config" ?

[{rabbitmq_shovel,
  [{shovels,
    [{scan_results_city1,
      [{sources,      [{broker,"amqp://localhost"}]},
       {destinations, [{broker, "amqp://server02"}]},
       {queue, <<"scan_results">>},
       {ack_mode, on_confirm},
       {publish_properties, [{delivery_mode, 2}]},
       {publish_fields, [{exchange, <<"">>},
                         {routing_key, <<"scan_results">>}]},
       {reconnect_delay, 5}
      ]}