[rabbitmq-discuss] Replacing Shovel with Federation, some configuration help required.

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Fri Nov 4 11:29:53 GMT 2011

On 04/11/11 09:35, Jelle Smet wrote:
> I have been experimenting with Shovel to transport messages between
> brokers over WAN links.
> I would like to give the "federation" plugin a shot.
>
> I was wondering where do I have to install and configure the federation
> plugin? Does the federation exchange "pull" as a matter of speaking
> messages from a remote queue and publishes these into its own
> "federation exchange" in order to route them to the right queue(s)?

Federation pulls messages that are published to remote *exchanges*, with
a certain degree of smarts about making sure that messages don't get
forwarded from one broker to another only to be dropped, and with a bit
of control about how much messages get forwarded.

Shovel pulls or pushes messages from queues to exchanges. That's all.

So they have different purposes. I see the shovel as being a low-level
tool: move messages from here to here. What you do with that is up to you.

Federation is a more opinionated tool: it's specifically for the case
when you want an exchange that acts as though it's in a bunch of
different brokers simultaneously.

If the shovel is working for you, you don't need to move away from it;
it's not going anywhere.

Cheers, Simon

--
Simon MacMullen