[rabbitmq-discuss] Realtime messaging or near realtime use rabbitmq ?

Marek Majkowski majek04 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 12:26:58 GMT 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 04:21, Benjamin Bennett <benbennett at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working on volunteer project that use to be funded by my
> company(hardware that is). We are still hacking away on it when we
> can.
> Basically it is an autonomous car, not to standards that are seen in
> the media but we are having fun leaving and just doing something
> interesting.
>
> I introduced rabbitmq to my day project, very boring web app and it
> has worked well.
>
> I was wonder how well do you think rabbit would perform on a system
> with very few publishers and subscribers but trying to get messages
> very quickly.

It should work fine if you use rabbit properly
(ie: avoid queueing, always make sure that someone is listening to
messages, etc).

> The control systems have outer and inner control loops , so even if
> rabbit completely failed it shuts itself down.
>
> We are using IPC but difficult to code with and only works in c /c++.
>
> Any  recommendations? I know I would want messages to "die" on a queue
> rather quickly because they would be consider stale.

Take a look at queue-ttl http://www.rabbitmq.com/extensions.html#queue-ttl
(this will kill too old messages)
And at immediate flag to basic.publish (this will forbid message from
being published if it can't be delivered to a consumer immediately)
http://www.rabbitmq.com/amqp-0-9-1-reference.html#basic.publish

Cheers,
  Marek