[rabbitmq-discuss] Debian/Ubuntu apt package issues.

Carlton Gibson carlton.gibson at noumenal.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 20:49:03 BST 2011

Hi All,

This is my first post here so, "Hello!" :-)

I've followed the instructions for adding the APT repository here:

http://www.rabbitmq.com/debian.html#apt

All went swimmingly, except when I tried to restart rabbitmq-server after a config change. I then got permission errors:

$ sudo /etc/init.d/rabbitmq-server start
Starting rabbitmq-server: FAILED - check /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_{log, _err}
rabbitmq-server.
$ cat /var/log/rabbitmq/startup_log
Activating RabbitMQ plugins ...
ERROR: Could not delete dir /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at web-plugins-expand ({cannot_delete,
                                                                                 "/var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia/rabbit at web-plugins-expand/rabbit.script",
                                                                                 eacces})

I found I had to change the ownership of everything (?) in /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia to rabbitmq from root to get rabbitmq-server to restart.

My thought is that this should be done automatically by the .deb package. (I don't know who else to mention this to…)

Regards,
Carlton