[rabbitmq-discuss] Debian/Ubuntu apt package issues.

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Sat Apr 23 00:19:09 BST 2011

Carlton,

Carlton Gibson wrote:
> I found I had to change the ownership of everything (?)
> in /var/lib/rabbitmq/mnesia to rabbitmq from root to get rabbitmq-server
> to restart.
>
> My thought is that this should be done automatically by the .deb
> package.

And that's exactly what the .deb does. The postinst contains

chown -R rabbitmq:rabbitmq /var/lib/rabbitmq
chown -R rabbitmq:rabbitmq /var/log/rabbitmq

So I wonder how you ended up with those dirs owned by root. It can't be
a general problem with the .deb since otherwise we'd have hordes of
angry debian/ubuntu users beating down our door.

You mention that the problem started when trying to restart rabbit after
a config change. That implies that rabbit was running ok up to that
point, so either it was running as root at the time (bad) or/and the
permissions on the dirs changed from rabbitmq to root somehow.

If you can find a way to reproduce this problem starting from a "clean"
machine (i.e. no rabbit remnants on it) please post the steps here.

Regards,

Matthias.