[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with Socket Server

Alex Gentle alexgentle at sify.com
Tue Sep 15 02:09:54 BST 2009

>Alex, you haven't explained why your app can only send a specific
>binary stream to a socket - for intents and purposes AMQP is no more
>than a *stream* of binary data.

I am not sure. It's not a specific binary stream, it can be any binary data.
But, this binary data can't be interpreted by RabbitMQ unless I put another
middle layer to translate this into call to RabbitMQ.

>I don't know how the network event notification works in iPhone OS 3.x
>(i.e. I don't know whether you get it to pre-empt the phone's kernel).

Actually it's not related to iPhone. I was mentioning about polling
mechanism in RabbitMQ. Meaning that, RabbitMQ doesn't inform the user when
he gets the message. User has to check every few seconds to see if there is
anything in his queue. So, iPhone app (OR any application for that matter)
needs to constantly check RabbitMQ to see if there is any message. That's
going to cost lot of bandwidth when I port the app to mobile devices.

Thank you for all the answers.