[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with Socket Server

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Tue Sep 15 04:11:39 BST 2009

On Sep 14, 2009, at 8:09 PM, Alex Gentle wrote:

> >Alex, you haven't explained why your app can only send a specific
> >binary stream to a socket - for intents and purposes AMQP is no more
> >than a *stream* of binary data.
>
> I am not sure. It's not a specific binary stream, it can be any
> binary data. But, this binary data can't be interpreted by RabbitMQ
> unless I put another middle layer to translate this into call to
> RabbitMQ.
>
> >I don't know how the network event notification works in iPhone OS
> 3.x
> >(i.e. I don't know whether you get it to pre-empt the phone's
> kernel).
>
> Actually it's not related to iPhone. I was mentioning about polling
> mechanism in RabbitMQ. Meaning that, RabbitMQ doesn't inform the
> user when he gets the message. User has to check every few seconds
> to see if there is anything in his queue. So, iPhone app (OR any
> application for that matter) needs to constantly check RabbitMQ to
> see if there is any message. That's going to cost lot of bandwidth
> when I port the app to mobile devices.
>
> Thank you for all the answers.

You don't need AMQP on your client side at all based upon your
descriptions. You already have a methodology for contacting a server
(the socket connection described). The only role for AMQP would be on
the server side.

I think you might be trying to squeeze AMQP (and rabbit) into a place
where it doesn't fit.

Why don't you try describing your entire messaging architecture for
us. Perhaps we can suggest improvements.

cr