[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ with Socket Server

Ben Hood 0x6e6562 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 00:12:05 BST 2009

Alex,

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 8:15 PM, Alex Gentle <alexgentle at sify.com> wrote:
> Ben, Socket server is just relaying data back and forth. It's essential to
> use socket server, because of the way entire application is set up. My
> iPhone app has chat inside in addition to couple of other photo sharing
> features. The idea is to use RabbitMq for iPhone chat app to send/receive
> messages.
>
> Because the socket server accepts only binary data, I am not sure how do I
> send/receive messages to RabbitMQ server. Without socket server in the
> picture, it works like a charm, iPhone can send message to RabbitMQ and
> receive the responses. But, due to the constraints I have, the message has
> to go thru socket server.

Alex, you haven't explained why your app can only send a specific
binary stream to a socket - for intents and purposes AMQP is no more
than a *stream* of binary data.

> another possible problem is that iPhone app has to keep on checking RabbitMQ
> for any messages available. This will be a real problem, if I port iPhone
> app into a mobile app because of bandwidth it's going to consume.

I don't know how the network event notification works in iPhone OS 3.x
(i.e. I don't know whether you get it to pre-empt the phone's kernel).

Ben