[rabbitmq-discuss] Millions of Queues

Alexis Richardson alexis.richardson at cohesiveft.com
Wed Feb 18 10:39:24 GMT 2009

Martin,

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 10:15 AM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at imatix.com> wrote:

>> Although, I am not convinced a federated solution is needed at all.
>> The cluster should suffice, no?
>
> It depends on the use case, of course. If the message load is moderate you
> can pass each message down the tree to *all* terminal brokers. These would
> do the matching and distribute the message to appropriate queues.

For sure.

> If the message load is high (no idea how much traffic can 80M users produce)
> you can easily overload the network by passing every message to every
> terminal broker. In this case some kind of up-the-tree binding propagation
> (whether we'll call it federation or not) would be required.

Although, using Ryan's model, one could still achieve this with a
RabbitMQ cluster.  You would need to make sure that for a given chat
room K, all the queues listening to K were on the same node.  The
price, as Ryan stated, is that a user may then have N connections to N
rooms, but that is perhaps ok.

All this aside, I think we are in agreement and there are lots of ways
that the propagation of bindings is useful :-)