[rabbitmq-discuss] Cluster Pathology

Tony Garnock-Jones tonyg at lshift.net
Tue Feb 17 14:04:22 GMT 2009

Jason J. W. Williams wrote:
> Unclustered Rabbit nodes eliminates the orphaned consumer problem. In
> RAS terms, RabbitMQ clustering seems to only provide the A. It seems
> to me on a node failure, either Rabbit needs to migrate an empty
> version of the queue to another node, or send a "you're dead" notice
> to consumers attached to the queue via nodes that aren't hosting the
> queue. Also, if the queue has been redeclared, there optimally would
> be a way for the dead node to replay its messages (if desired) into
> the recreated queue(s) when it comes back up.

Agreed. Our current clustering is really pretty lame as regards queues.
Exchanges are fine, being stateless, but clustered queues Need Work.

Which, incidentally, is next on my plate. I'll be looking at pluggable
queues, distributed queues, and fixing the persister, since they all
affect the same little areas of code.

Tony