[rabbitmq-discuss] Direct vs Topic Exchange (1:1 and 1:M Chat)

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Fri May 23 09:42:18 BST 2014

 On 23 May 2014 at 12:37:41, Sunny Dyal (sunny.dyal at gmail.com) wrote:
> > 1. is it ok to use topic exchange for 1:1 and 1:M chat considering
> multiple nodes and multiple session of each user?
> 2. What do you say about efficiency of topic because we have 10000+
> increasing users day by day?

Topic exchanges is a good choice for 1:n message distribution. For 1:1, you often
can get away with just default exchange and publishing "directly to the queue"
(routing key = target queue name).

Topic exchanges use a trie for matching, this scales well w/ respect to the number
of bindings. Details:

 * http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2010/09/14/very-fast-and-scalable-topic-routing-part-1/
 * http://www.rabbitmq.com/blog/2011/03/28/very-fast-and-scalable-topic-routing-part-2/
--