[rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq and cpp

Full Name sven_weber at excite.com
Tue May 20 00:01:01 BST 2014

Hi Matthias,

thx for the answer!

-----Original Message-----
From: "Matthias Radestock" [matthias at rabbitmq.com]
Date: 05/16/2014 09:49 AM
To: "Discussions about RabbitMQ" <rabbitmq-discuss at lists.rabbitmq.com>
CC: sven_weber at excite.com
Subject: Re: [rabbitmq-discuss] rabbitmq and cpp

On 12/05/14 02:05, Full Name wrote:
>> I am new to RabbitMQ and to AMQP in general. I didn't find a
>> forum/mailing list for general AMQP questions. Just a forum at
>> amqp.org, but that is kind of dead. I want to exchange messages
>> between Java and c++ applications. The Java tutorials for rabbitmq
>> were easy, but the c++ client is really hard to build.

>By "c++ client" are you referring to
>https://github.com/alanxz/SimpleAmqpClient ? What specifically did you
>find hard about the build process? Alan, the author, is on this mailing
>list and I am sure he'd welcome "constructive criticism" :)

Yes, I mean SimpleAmqpClient. But let me make it very clear that I do not wanna rant about that build process.
It is just hard as a "getting started experience" compared to the Java examples, which were ready to run after a few minutes.

>> I watched a couple of amqp videos and it is always mentioned that
>> amqp is a wire protocol just like http, and that that is a big plus
>> (I agree). So why is there a need for a rabbitmq cpp client and a
>> Apache qpid client etc. in the first place? Why isn't there only one
>> generic amqp cpp client?

>Two reasons:

>- there are several versions of the protocol; different clients support
>different versions

>- there are many ways of exposing AMQP functionality to applications;
>different clients provide different API

My thinking goes as follows:

AMQP is a wire protocoll like http.
There are several http clients for sure. But there is not one http client for Apache web server, a different http client for nginx and a third one for Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS).
So why there are clients for RabbitMQ and Apache qpid and so forth, and not a generic C++ client for AMQP 1.0?

regards
Sven