[rabbitmq-discuss] Questions on how to handle message reliability.

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Fri May 9 22:24:08 BST 2014

On May 9, 2014 at 2:44:06 PM, Neha Kansal (kansalneha28 at yahoo.com) wrote:
> > - If I use publisher confirms and waitForConfirms, would the
> broker hold off on delivering the message to the consumer until
> ack has been sent to the publisher?

No, consumers are not aware of publisher confirms, and vice versa.

> - If a publisher receives a nack (i.e. waitForConfirms returns
> a false), the publisher code has to handle retry publishing by
> itself as many times as it want to in a loop or is there any config/setup
> in RabbitMQ that helps with republishing?

You have to handle nacks on your own. Note that it’s actually tricky to
trigger a nack:

http://markmail.org/thread/26va4wjuqbae5efi

> - How do I check the redelivery flag in the consumer code?

See message properties. Exactly how depend on the client you use.
--
MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ