[rabbitmq-discuss] HELP: Replication vs RabbitMQ persistence in production environment

Mat Burton matburton at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 12:49:21 GMT 2014

Hey Nikolay,

Where I work we've opted to put a RabbitMQ broker on each physical machine
in our live environment.
These brokers have a single exchange and queue both called "local.outgoing"
(i.e. there's a single message stream)

There is then a central RabbitMQ broker with shovels configured to fetch
messages from each machine.
The central RabbitMQ broker is where all the routing to queues takes place.

This means that:

   - It's unlikely that the local RabbitMQ broker instance is unreachable
   - Messages are queued at the local RabbitMQ broker if there are network
   problems until they're resolved
   - Apps don't have to maintain state (unless they need to for another
   reason)
   - Apps are dumb, they just raise events (messages) but don't know who
   cares and who they should send messages to, it's one big stream
   - We can upgrade, restart, re-configure the central RabbitMQ broker as
   required without down-time or message loss

This is just a case study ;-) it may not match you're requirements
Mat B