[rabbitmq-discuss] Pressured to move to AMQP 1.0

Tony Garnock-Jones tonygarnockjones+rabbitmq at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 22:53:38 BST 2014

Based on the state of interop as discussed the other day, I reckon the
RabbitMQ team should declare the 1.0 plugin "production". It doesn't seem
to be in any worse of a state than any other AMQP 1.0 implementation. It's
as compatible as anyone else, by the sounds of it.

If that were done, the boxes would all get ticked and people would be
reassured they could migrate to AMQP 1.0 if and when they felt like it.

On 9 June 2014 12:47, Michael Watson <mswatson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, ramoboder.
>
> I'm working through the issues now.  Have had some success, but decision
> makers still somewhat hung up on the damned versioning. It's hard to claim
> that we're using an industry standard in AMQP 0.9.1, even though many
> consider it the defacto standard.  There's business value in being able to
> claim compatibility with the version that Microsoft, IBM, and Apache are
> all supporting.
>
> Michael
>

> On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 7:54 AM, rambocoder <erlang at rambocoder.com> wrote:
>
>> You can make a business case to your management that instead of spending
>> hundreds of thousands of dollars on IBM Websphere MQ to get started,and
>> then much more indefinitely for IBM support contract, you could hire 1
>> Erlang developer who would implement the missing AMQP 1.0 features in
>> RabbitMQ https://github.com/rabbitmq/rabbitmq-amqp1.0
>>
>> That would create tremendous goodwill towards your company and make the
>> world a better place :)
>>
>> Or the company could just pay huge monthly bills by using Microsoft Azure
>> Messaging http://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/details/service-bus/
>> because Microsoft charges for e-v-e-r-y-thing, even "Billable messages
>> include any "no message available" replies".
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> -rambocoder
>>
>> On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 6:13:13 PM UTC-4, DallasEng wrote:
>>>
>>> Having finally demonstrated to my company that RabbitMQ and AMQP allow
>>> us to build kickass distributed solutions, I am now getting strong pressure
>>> to move off RabbitMQ to "something more modern that supports AMQP 1.0".  I
>>> understand that 0.9.1 and 1.0 are completely different beasts, and that
>>> there's a 1.0 protocol plugin for RabbitMQ, but that plugin has limitations
>>> and things in 1.0 that it does not support.  The Powers That Be at the
>>> company look at IBM and Microsoft having AMQP 1.0 support and saying that's
>>> clearly where we need to be if we want to (a) not be left behind, and (b)
>>> advertise that we're using "the industry standard".
>>>
>>> Since there's no indication that RabbitMQ will ever support a
>>> fully-compliant 1.0 mode, do any of you have suggestions for how I can
>>> demonstrate that staying on RabbitMQ for new development is a good idea?
>>>
>>> Thanks!

Tony Garnock-Jones
tonygarnockjones at gmail.com
http://homepages.kcbbs.gen.nz/tonyg/