[rabbitmq-discuss] Memory not flushing?

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jul 10 11:24:28 BST 2014

I think Michael already answered your real question - you are running
into the msg store index using all memory. But to answer some of your
sub-questions...

On 09/07/2014 8:22PM, Jason McIntosh wrote:
> I saw this message:
> http://lists.rabbitmq.com/pipermail/rabbitmq-discuss/2013-April/026649.html
> But wasn't sure it applied since the ram counts are 0?

No, it doesn't. If the ram count is 0, all messages are paged out.

> If that's still
> probably the issue, is there a way to set the target ram count to
> something other than infinity?  e.g. rabbitmqctl set_paramter myqueue
> target_ram_count 0.50?

The target ram count is managed automatically. Ultimately it's derived
from vm_memory_high_watermark_paging_ratio, via a system which attempts
to ensure that all queues get a fair share of memory, where "fair" is
defined as "slow-moving queues page out earlier than fast-moving queues,
since they're slow anyway". It's a feedback-based system though, which
means that if all queues are not accepting messages (i.e. when the
memory alarm goes off) then it can end up saying "infinity". If the
queue started moving again that number would go down some (and it's
clearly been 0 in the past, hence the ram_msg_count).

Cheers, Simon

Simon MacMullen
RabbitMQ, Pivotal