[rabbitmq-discuss] Backing up persisted messages

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Fri Jan 31 13:12:32 GMT 2014

On 31/01/14 13:00, Duncan McIntyre wrote:
> I can see that if a per-queue message ttl is set, messages in RAM get
> deleted after the timeout.
>
> But what happens if there are a lot of messages in the queue and they
> have been overflowed to disk? Is that garbage-collected, or does it just
> fill up?
>
> How does this interact with message persistence?

It works as you'd expect; expired messages are (logically) removed from
the queue regardless of whether they have been paged out.

Disk space in the persistent message store is reclaimed by a garbage
collector, which has a guaranteed upper bound on the amount of garbage
left around (50% of the total).

Matthias.