[rabbitmq-discuss] Backing up persisted messages

Tim Watson tim at rabbitmq.com
Thu Jan 30 17:04:58 GMT 2014

It really depends on what you mean by "backup". What are you trying to achieve? Do you need resiliency (i.e., avoiding data loss), are you trying to conserve disk space, or is there some other requirement at play?

For resiliency, clustering + HA offers a good set of guarantees if you're on a reliable network. You can also use the shovel and/or federation plugins to replicate messages between RabbitMQ nodes. The only other alternative would be backing up the mnesia directory, but that would copy all the data for all queues (and a bunch of other stuff too).

I'd suggest looking at the shovel or federation plugins. You can replicate data and handle it differently depending on your needs, e.g., to archive messages you want to deal with much later on, you might consume the replicated messages and archive them to a persistent storage medium of your choice, to be "replayed" later.

http://www.rabbitmq.com/distributed.html is probably worth a read.

Cheers,
Tim