[rabbitmq-discuss] Federation Topologies & Limitations

Josh West jsw at one.com
Wed Jan 15 19:19:54 GMT 2014

Hi folks,

I'm currently working with the federation plugin in order to connect
potentially 100-200 different brokers.  The purpose is to provide a
virtual message bus, where systems on any broker can send messages to
other systems that are likely connected to a different broker.
Basically, a communication network / message bus.

I am experimenting with different architectures and it seems that in
order to prevent message duplications, I'll have to go with a complete
graph and max-hops set to 1 -- or in other words, each broker will have
to directly federate with the other 100-200 brokers.

I'm wondering about the limitations (if they exist) of the federation
plugin or this style of architecture.  There isn't much information out
there on the pro's and con's of different topologies (aside from obvious
issues with a large ring topology).

Can anybody elaborate or add any input?

Thanks!

--