[rabbitmq-discuss] RabbitMQ publishing is taking time

Matthias Radestock matthias at rabbitmq.com
Thu Feb 27 11:49:15 GMT 2014

On 25/02/14 06:27, Piyush Nagar wrote:
> I used Firehose and below are my observations:
>
> As soon as message is published using BasicPublish method, it reaches
> to queue with routing key publish.exchangename immediately. But it
> takes time while reaching deliver.queuename queue. I am correlating
> all messages with correlationID in header which is a GUID and it is
> same.
>
> So that means, messages are reaching to rabbitMQ but are taking time
> to deliver (which should not be there and messages should come to
> this queue also immediately).

The firehose taps into the path *into* and *out of* the queue, so it
cannot possibly provide you with data on when messages actually land in
the queue. Assuming that what you are looking at is the time difference
between the "in" and "out" then any time delay there is most likely due
to consumers not being able to keep up.

> Also, I want to mention that, using logging in my publisher, I found
> out that, let 20 messages are published. But using management
> console, I can see only 6-7 messages, all are in unacked state (we
> send ack only after consumption by consumer, which takes some time).

The remaining messages either:
- are stuck on their way to the broker due to flow control, or
- did not get routed to any queue because their routing key did not
match anything, or
- where consumed and acknowledged

> Please suggest me the path to take from here.

Try to come up with a short standalone program that demonstrates the
behaviour you are seeing and post it to this list.

Matthias.