[rabbitmq-discuss] 3.2.2 triple mem

der.hans Verteiler+rabbitmq-discuss at LuftHans.com
Wed Feb 19 15:11:15 GMT 2014

Am 19. Feb, 2014 schwätzte Simon MacMullen so:

moin moin,

> On 19/02/14 09:25, der.hans wrote:
>> Is there a known reason for 3.2.2 to use 3x the memory used by 3.1.5 for
>> the same load?
>
> Possibly. 3.1.x and earlier would page messages to disk if memory use went
> above 20% of the vm_memory_high_watermark (i.e. if > 8% memory was used with
> the default watermark).
>
> 3.2.x made this setting configurable (as
> vm_memory_high_watermark_paging_ratio) and also changed the default value for
> it from 20% to 50%, so it will start paging once > 20% memory is used.

Cool. Sounds like a good feature to me. I'll propose adjusting the setting
to prove that's the difference and allay any worries.

> See http://www.rabbitmq.com/memory.html#memsup-paging for information on this
> setting.

Would you add a comment to that page that the default was 20% prior to
3.2.x?

> In general the default values for vm_memory_high_watermark and
> vm_memory_high_watermark_paging_ratio are set on the assumption that RabbitMQ
> is the only significant thing running on the machine, and thus that it's
> reasonable for it to use all available memory if it will make things go
> faster.

A very good presumption in our case :). These machines are dedicated
brokers, so I'm in favor of exclusive use configurations.

ciao,

der.hans
#  ... make it clear I support "Free Software" and not "Open Source",
#  and don't imply I agree that there is such a thing as a
#  "Linux operating system". - rms