[rabbitmq-discuss] Exclusive Producers?

Tarun Mistry tarun.mistry at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 02:06:05 GMT 2014

Hi all,

i'm new to RabbitMQ/AMQP. I am trying to solve an application level
high-availability problem and belive i'm not thinking about things in the
right way, I could use some advice!

Here is what I would like to achieve, I could use some help understanding
the RabbitMQ way of doing it.

1) I have several message producers, only 1 of these is the primary, the
remainder as all backups.
2) The primary is defined as the process that controls a single queue and
can post messages to it.
3) If the primary process fails, I want a backup to take over immediately.
4) All backups are in a race to get control of the queue (from 2)
5) Once a backup gains control, it is now the primary.

Using Rabbit speak, I feel like I need something called an "exclusive
producer".

Do I need to fudge this by introducing a second queue and having all the
processes connect to this using the "exclusive consumer" pattern, and then
use this to determine who can control the main queue?

Appreciate any advice

Cheers
TM