[rabbitmq-discuss] RPC over Shovel or Federation

Simon MacMullen simon at rabbitmq.com
Mon Feb 10 10:11:09 GMT 2014

Hi Vitor.

Neither shovel nor federation is particularly designed for RPC with
dynamic reply queues. So you have a few options:

1) Redesign your clients to use fixed queues for replies. This is the
highest performance solution (even with a single broker) since creating
a new queue for each RPC is orders of magnitude more expensive than
sending and receiving a message. You can then use either shovel or
federation for your reply queues (federation is probably simpler).

2) Declare dynamic reply queues and use queue federation on them. The
problem is that queue federation doesn't attempt to federate queue
deletion; and since the federation mechanism uses consume / cancel for
flow control, autodelete queues might get autodeleted at the wrong time.
So the only option you have to prevent a leak of reply queues is to give
them an x-expires argument.

In the future we hope to make the default exchange federatable, in
effect giving global queue addressing across a federation. Not sure when
we'll have the time to work on that though...

Cheers, Simon