[rabbitmq-discuss] Message Rates slow down

Michael Klishin mklishin at gopivotal.com
Wed Feb 5 09:13:47 GMT 2014

On 5 Feb 2014, at 13:09, Mahesh Viraktamath <yuva670 at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I run a consumer which writes to a queue - say "Q_OUT", the message rate is around 4.5/s. If I start another consumer which consumes from "Q_OUT", the message rate for the writing consumer drops considerably to 1.6-1.8. I can't understand how can a consuming client can bring down the message rate of the writing consumer.

If your consumer also publishes messages, adding another consumer to the same queue will lead to the 2nd consumer
consuming some of the messages. That means the 1st consumer does less work, and publishes fewer messages.

If I misunderstood your use case, can you please post some code and management UI screenshots that demonstrate
your observations?

MK

Software Engineer, Pivotal/RabbitMQ