[rabbitmq-discuss] Connections made to slaves when a master fail (and a slave is promoted) stop receiving messages

Guillermo López Leal gll at tid.es
Wed Sep 4 21:54:33 BST 2013

Hi guys,

after complaining about RabbitMQ HA mode in twitter[1], I got a response by
Álvaro (@old_sound)[2] stating that I should post my problem here. Fair
enough, here are my details:

Architecture: simple RabbitMQ 2.8.x cluster with two machines.
Usage: really simple pub-sub on a topic. Nothing fancy. Queues on 'all'
mirroring.
Library: node-amqp for Node.js [3], v0.1.7, as published on npm, not on
github)

The symptons are:

1) We connect to several logical brokers from each of our nodes. This means
that we are connected to the master and slaves of each queue.
2) When the master fails, RabbitMQ selects the eldest slave and promotes to
be the master.
3) "The slave considers all previous consumers to have been abruptly
disconnected."[4] So we end up with the connections NOT being closed but
not binded to any queue, and no information from RabbitMQ to the "slave"
consumers. This means that we have the connection, we do not have any error
message, but we stop receiving any further messages.

I have read the documentation and I think this is the expected behaviour,
but I'm more than open to improve our code to solve this problems.

Thanks,

Guillermo

[1] https://twitter.com/willyaranda/status/375343649896538112
[2] https://twitter.com/old_sound/status/375353677319376896