[rabbitmq-discuss] queue selection based on a 'feature list'

Alvaro Videla videlalvaro at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 14:33:38 GMT 2013

Adding back rabbitmq-discuss to the loop.

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Lawrence Freil <lef at apago.com> wrote:

> Alvaro,
>
> I should have stated 'consumer' instead of 'queue'. The docs (and my
> testing indicates that it does work this way) states:
>
> Direct exchanges are often used to distribute tasks between multiple
> workers (instances of the same application) in a round robin manner. When
> doing so, it is important to understand that, in AMQP 0-9-1, messages are
> load balanced between consumers and not between queues.

The exchanges will route messages to queues based on the routing key used
when publishing the message and the routing key used to bind the queue(s)
to the exchange. Depending on the exchange is how that routing key will be
used during routing. So one message could end up in more than one queue.

Once the message reached one queue (note that the message could have been
delivered to more than one queue), then the messages on a particular queue
will be round-robin'ed across consumers.

For more details take a look here:
http://www.rabbitmq.com/tutorials/amqp-concepts.html

Regards,

Alvaro