[rabbitmq-discuss] Feature Req / Bug list

Graeme N graeme at sudo.ca
Mon Oct 28 21:46:29 GMT 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Matthias Radestock
<matthias at rabbitmq.com>wrote:

> On 28/10/13 20:40, Graeme N wrote:
>
>> Well, if you've got my script bundle from earlier in the thread, just
>> update with this script. Use them to build a test cluster, populate 100
>> queues with 1000 messages each. Then run this script to delete and
>> recreate all the queues. This always produces new queues for me that
>> contain old messages. ;)
>>

> Publishing is asynchronous. AFAICT the test node does not guarantee that
> all published messages have made it to the queues by the time
> populate_queues terminates. Some messages could still sit in various
> network or internal (pre-routing) buffers. If you then, concurrently,
> delete the queues and recreate them, the buffered messages will get routed
> to the newly created queues.

Yeah, I typically wait until the management console reports all messages
delivered to all queues, so I'm not just automating running these scripts
in a row. I've been assuming that if the management console reports
messages are delivered, then this scenario doesn't apply.

> That's one explanation. The other possibility is that one of the other
> issues you reported is somehow causing this. Obviously if rabbit internals
> are exploding in various interesting ways (indicated by errors getting
> written to the SASL logs), as is happening in your tests, then all bets are
> off.

Well, when I've been running this, I updated my scripts to do queue
deletion linearly (without any shell level parallelism), as should be seen
in the updated setup script. In this situation, I'm not seeing it throw a
bunch of obvious errors, but when I go to create the new message queues,
they show up with some subset of the original messages in them.

Graeme